Police arrest two men aged 65 and 37 over abuse sent to Angela Rayner via e-mail to bring total to eight
- A man, 65, from Surrey and another, 37, from Kent, have been arrested
- Police confirmed that the two men were released under investigation
- Eight people in total have now been arrested in Operation Octant, GMP said
Two more men have been arrested after Labour deputy leader Angela Rayner was sent abuse over email.
A man, 65, from Surrey and another, 37, from Kent, are accused of malicious communications over an email sent to the Ashton-under-Lyne MP on May 2 this year.
Greater Manchester Police said both men have been released under investigation pending further inquiries.
The latest arrests take the total number of people detained under so-called Operation Octant, the investigation into abuse and threats aimed at Ms Rayner, to eight.
Eight people have now been arrested after the deputy Labour leader Ms Rayner (pictured) was allegedly sent abusive e-mails
Two men were arrested by police for the malicious communications over an email sent to the Ashton-under-Lyne MP (pictured) on May 2 this year
Detective Sergeant Christopher Dean, from GMP, said: ‘GMP won’t tolerate abuse, and that includes online abuse in its many forms – text, email or social media – and we will always investigate thoroughly to bring the perpetrators to justice.
‘If anyone has been the victim of abuse – whether physical or online – then they should call police and one of our specially-trained officers will be on hand.’
Anyone with information about similar incidents can contact police on 0161 856 9262, via 101, or the LiveChat function at www.gmp.police.uk. To remain anonymous contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or online.
In October last year, Benjamin Iliffe, 36, of Chatteris in Cambridgeshire, was sentenced to 15 weeks imprisonment suspended for 18 months.
Iliffe appeared by video-link from Thorpe Wood police station in Peterborough and admitted sending the threatening email and possessing cannabis.
He told Ms Rayner ‘to watch your back and your kids’ over email.
Ms Rayner’s spokesman previously confirmed she had been the target of abuse with threatening phone calls, emails and letters in the wake of Sir David Amess’ stabbing, and said the messages had an impact on her children and staff.
He was subject to a two-year restraining order not to contact Ms Rayner directly or indirectly, not to talk about her on social media and not to go to her office.